2020 has already delivered eight hurricanes, causing extensive damage and loss on the islands off the North Atlantic coast as well as along the Gulf of Mexico. However, we are nowhere near the end of the hurricane season.
Hurricane season typically begins on June 1st and ends on November 30th, with the majority of major disturbances occurring between August and late-October.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting an above-normal hurricane season, with an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season, and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.
Due to the influx in storms, it is predicted that the Greek Alphabet will likely have to be used in the coming weeks as a way to name storms. The Greek Alphabet has not been utilized since the historic 2005 hurricane season that developed catastrophic hurricanes like Katrina and Rita.
We’ve still got a ways to go in this year’s hurricane season so it’s important for everyone, especially those in hurricane-prone areas like South Carolina, to always be prepared for the potentially devastating effects of a hurricane. Knowing evacuation routes and stocking up on emergency supplies like water and non-perishable foods are two ways to ensure you and your family are adequately prepared for a hurricane.